Additives for Liquid Hand Soap
- Liquid colors, such as liquid dye mix easily with shower gel base. Start with 1 mL per 16 oz. of liquid hand soap and go up from there.Exfoliants
- Exfoliants can be added to liquid soap base to make an exfoliating liquid soap. Exfoliants range from jojoba beads to apricot seed powder. When using exfoliants in soap dispersed with pumps, be sure to test to make sure the exfoliant doesn’t clog the pump. Exfoliants can be added at 1/4 teaspoon per 16 oz. of base. More or less can be added based on your desired outcome.Fragrance Oils
- Fragrance oils are synthetic man-made aromatic ingredients that are used to scent soap and other products. Some fragrance oils also contain natural essential oils. The typical usage rate is about 2% of the liquid hand soap base.Essential Oils
- Essential oils are considered a natural way to fragrance soap and are concentrated hydrophobic liquids containing volatile aroma compounds from plants. Essential oils are extracted from plant materials (flowers, bark, seeds, peel, roots, leaves, etc.) by expression, steam distillation or solvent extraction. The typical usage rate is about 2% of the liquid hand soap base.
Sometimes fragrance oils and essentials oils do not mix easily into liquid soap. To help, you can use a fragrance oil modifier. There are two options:
What NOT to add to bases:
- Crafter's Choice™ FO & EO Modifier - Fragrance Oil & Essential Oil Modifier is a proprietary emulsifying agent that allows oil to dissolve with water. When used correctly, your end product will remain 100% clear. Thoroughly mix 4 parts FO Modifier to 1 part oil based FO. You have now created a new fragrance oil that will easily incorporate into water based products. Add 1% modified fragrance to water based products.
- Crafter's Choice™ Polysorbate 20 - This allows fragrance and essential oils to bind with water-based products. Depending on your formula, your end product may be cloudy. Thoroughly mix 1 part polysorbate 20 with 1 part fragrance oil (equal parts) and add to the liquid hand soap base.
Water - It is not recommended to add additional water to bases as contamination can occur resulting in mold, bacteria or yeast growth.
Perishable Liquids - It is not recommended to add liquid goat’s milk, fresh milk, beer, wine, fruit juice, vegetable juice or other perishable liquids as they will spoil the base.
Too Much Additives - Adding over 5% of additives can render the preservative inactive resulting in mold, bacteria or yeast growth.