RECIPE: Curlz & Stars Loaf Soap
This soap will remind you of fireworks exploding in the sky. Bright colors and awesome fragrance are sure to make this a favorite summer soap.
Project Level: Difficult
Estimated Time: 1 Hour
Yield: 44 oz. Loaf or 8-1" slices
INCI Ingredient Label: Sorbitol, Propylene Glycol, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Fragrance, Titanium Dioxide, Polyester-3, Red 28, Orange 5, Chromium Hydroxide Green
- NOTE: If you are making these products for sale, good manufacturing practices recommend you wear a hairnet, gloves and a mask. We also recommend a clean apron.
- In plastic beaker or small bowl, mix 1/4 tsp. of each powdered color with approx. 1 oz. of glycerin. Stir powder into glycerin to get it wet before turning on mixer.
- Using mini-mixer or frother, blend colors into liquid until all powder is dissolved.
- Weigh and cut up 30 oz. Crystal Clear MP soap base. Place in glass measuring cup.
- Heat in microwave until soap has completely melted - approx. 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir. If any pieces are undissolved, heat in 20 second increments until soap is melted.
- Divide melted soap into 3 separate cups. Add color to each and stir.
- Place mini loaf mold on a cookie sheet. This makes it easier to move without disturbing the soap.
- Pour first color into mold. Place soap mold/cookie sheet in freezer to speed up process of soap hardening. Remove from freezer in about 10-15 minutes.
- Let soap sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes before unmolding. Gently press on bottom of cavity and soap will release.
- Repeat steps 8-9 for remaining two colors.
- Using a vegetable peeler, create soap curls using half of each colored mini loaf. Save at least 5.5 oz of each colored mini loaf for the stars.
- Cut 3 oz. of Ultra White MP soap and place in glass measuring cups. Heat in microwave until melted - approx. 20 seconds. Remove and stir.
- Place Regular Loaf mold on a cookie sheet.
- Pour 1 oz. in bottom of loaf mold (just enough to coat bottom). Spritz with alcohol to pop any surface bubbles.
- Place soap mold/cookie sheet in freezer to speed up process of soap hardening. Remove in about 5 minutes.
- Unmold soap and cut into three equal pieces. Using a pencil, curl soap to create curls to insert into stars.
- Repeat steps 14-16 with remaining 2 oz. of white soap. You should have 9 soap curls when finished.
- Cut up remaining 5.5 oz. of each color and place in separate glass measuring cups.
- Heat in microwave until soap has completely melted - approx 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir.
- Place star silicone mold on a cookie sheet.
- Pour each colored soap to fill three star cavities almost to the top. Spritz white curls with alcohol and insert into cavities. Save a little colored soap to use after unmolding stars. This is explained later.
- Once soap stars have hardened, remove from mold. Trim any excess white curls that may be sticking out of star.
- With remaining colored soap, dip ends of stars into melted soap to use as a "glue" to hold stars together.
- Four stars together will fit the length of the loaf mold. We glued different color stars together. You will need 2 quadruple-long tubes (8 star tubes).
- Cut up remaining white soap from 2 lb. tray. Place in large glass measuring cup and heat until melted.
- When completely melted, add 1 oz. or 2 Tbsp. of Cool Cucumber fragrance oil. Blend in well.
- Place large loaf mold on cookie sheet. Pour melted white soap into bottom - about 1/4 inch. Let soap harden.
- Spritz top of soap and one star tube generously with alcohol and place down onto soap, aligning with the left side of loaf.
- Spritz half of the soap curls with alcohol and sprinkle into mold. Pour remaining soap into mold until curls are just covered. Tap mold to help soap settle into the soap curls. Spritz again when finished. Let harden.
- Spritz soap generously with alcohol. Spritz remaining soap curls and place in mold. Pour more white soap over curls.
- Spritz remaining star tube generously with alcohol and place on right side of mold so top of star sticks out above mold.
- Spritz again and top off with remaining white soap. Spritz top to remove any air bubbles.
- Once soap has completely hardened, remove from mold. Using a mitre box, if available, slice loaf into 1" slices. Wrap soap and label accordingly.
Wholesale Supplies Plus is not responsible for the products you create
from our supplies. You alone are responsible for product and recipe
testing to ensure compatibility and safety.