RECIPE: Layered Fluorescent Soap Loaf
This soap smells like a fruity summertime drink! Pouring at an angle gives a fun twist to the soap. For bright neon colors, use the extra clear MP soap base.
Project Level: Difficult
Estimated Time: 1 Hour
Yield: 8 - 1" slices
INCI Ingredient Label: Propylene Glycol, Sorbitol, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Laurate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Triethanolamine, Titanium Dioxide,Polyester-3, Red 28, Polyester-3, Yellow 7,Polyester-3, Violet 2, Polyester-3, Yellow 7, fragrance
- TE: If you are making these products for sale, good manufacturing practices recommend you wear a hairnet, gloves and a mask. We also recommend a clean apron.
- Assemble your supplies. If you wish to make angled layers, place mold in a shoe box and tilt the bottom with a wedge to create an angle.
- In a plastic beaker, mix 1/8 teaspoon of powder color with 1 oz. glycerin. Mix well with metal whisk. If particles not dissolving completely, pour mixture through fine strainer, coffee filter or fine cheese cloth.
- Repeat step 1 with each of the different colors.
- Cut up soap into 1" chunks and weigh out 10 oz. Place in a pyrex cup and heat it in the microwave for 60 seconds on high. You may repeat heating in 15 second increments until soap is fully melted.
- Add your yellow liquid color and mix well.
- Add 5 ml. of fragrance (Island Nectar). Pour into the silicone mold. This will be your first layer. Allow it to harden before proceeding.
- Once first layer is hard (set up), repeat steps 4-6 with a new color.
- The second color of soap must cool to 125-130ºF before it is ready to pour. This will ensure the previous layer of soap does not melt.
- When the soap has cooled to the 125-130º F, spritz the hard soap in loaf with a fine mist of rubbing alcohol. This rubbing alcohol will force the layers of soap to stick together.
- Using the remaining colors, follow these previous steps for the third and fourth layers of soap. Be sure to spritz each layer of soap generously with rubbing alcohol.
- When the loaf of soap is completely set up, carefully remove it from the mold. Slice the loaf into bars using the Crafter's Choice Mitre Box. Wrap and label accordingly.
- Picture of bright colored soap in front is made with extra clear base. Soap on either side is made with white base (shea) to get a pastel look.
Wholesale Supplies Plus is not responsible for the products you create
from our supplies. You alone are responsible for product and recipe
testing to ensure compatibility and safety.