RECIPE: Marshmallow Sugar Scrub
These adorable sugar scrubs, fashioned after the popular marshmallow Easter favorites, will be a treat for any age. Great filler for Easter baskets!
Project Level: Moderate
Estimated Time: 1 Hour
Yield: Approx. 100 Scrubs
INCI Ingredient Label: Sugar, Propylene Glycol, Sorbitol, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Disodium Lauryl sulfosuccinate, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance, Titanium Dioxide, Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Bis(Glycidoxyphenyl)propane/Bisaminomethylnorbornane copolymer, Aluminum Hydroxide, Violet 2 EXT, Red 28, Yellow 10.
- NOTE: If you are making these products for sale, good manufacturing practices recommend you wear a hairnet, gloves and a mask. We also recommend a clean apron
- Using a soap cutter, cut off and weigh 10 oz. of the Ultra White Soap Base. Cut soap up into smaller chunks and place in glass measuring cup.
- Place in microwave and heat soap just until it has melted. Remove and stir.
- Place bowl with soap on scale and tare to zero. Add 1 oz. liquid glycerin to melted soap.
- Using a hand mixer, begin to mix soap/glycerin mixture.
- While soap is mixing, add 16 oz. of Foaming Bath Whip.
- Once Bath Whip has blended in, turn speed up higher for 1-2 minutes. Mixture will become creamy and look like marshmallow cream.
- Turn mixer to medium speed and add 1 cup of sugar every 15 seconds until all 6 cups of sugar have been added.
- While mixer is on medium speed, add 1 oz. of fragrance. Continue to mix on medium speed until fully blended (about 60 seconds).
- Take out half of the batch and put in a separate bowl.
- To one bowl add Neon Yellow Hello Powder color. Mix with a spatula until color is fully incorporated. More color can be added if a darker color is desired.
- In the other bowl, add the Neon Purple Play Date Powder color until desired shade is achieved.
- If the scrub does not seem thick enough to hold its shape when piped, let it sit for a few hours. It will thicken up on its own. Or, you can try adding an additional cup of sugar.
- Fill a cake piping bag with one of the colored scrubs. Or, fill a large plastic food bag and cut off the tip of a corner to use You can pipe out the chicks onto a cookie sheet.
- Pipe the yellow scrub in an oval shape. On one end, leave a little tip for the tail.
- For the neck and head: Apply heavy pressure in short bursts to make 3 layers. On the last layer, pull piping bag away quickly for a smaller layer for the head. You should have a little extra at the end of the top layer for the beak.
- Continue in this manner until all the yellow scrub has been used. Depending on how large you make the chicks will determine how many the recipe will yield. Our chicks were about 2 inches long, some slightly less.
- Repeat steps 14-16 using the purple scrub.
- For the eyes: Add two chocolate sprinkles, one on each side of the chick's head. Repeat for all the chicks.
- Let scrubs sit overnight. They can be covered loosely with plastic wrap if desired.
- Our recipe yielded approximately 100 chicks. This gave us 33 bags of product.
- Lay out 33 rectangle soap cups on a table.
- Weigh about 50 ounces of white soap and cut up into small chunks. Place in glass measuring cup.
- Heat in microwave until completely melted. Remove and stir.
- Pour melted soap into the bottom of each rectangle soap cup. We filled ours about 1/2 inch deep. Spritz top of each soap with rubbing alcohol to release any surface bubbles. Let soap set up.
- Once soap has completely set up, you can start assembling the chicks in their nest.
- Place some brown crinkle paper on top of the soap. Place 3 chicks on top of the "nest". Place in cello bag and tie with ribbon. Continue until they are all assembled.
- Labels can be placed on the bottom of the bag or you can tie a tag around the top along with the ribbon.
Wholesale Supplies Plus is not responsible for the products you create
from our supplies. You alone are responsible for product and recipe
testing to ensure compatibility and safety.