RECIPE: Orchid & Pink Amber Rimmed CP Soap
The technique to making this soap is a bit tricky but it is well worth the effort. You will create a beautiful and luxurious bar of soap. It is sure to be one of your best sellers!
Project Level: Advanced – Danger Chemicals
Estimated Time: Over 12 Hours
Yield: 8 - 1 " Slices
INCI Ingredient Label: Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Water, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Carthamus tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Fragrance, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Titanium Dioxide, Bis(Glycidoxyphenyl)propane/Bisaminomethylnorbornane copolymer, Aluminum Hydroxide, Red 28, Red 22.
- This recipe is done in 2 steps and will take approximately 3 days to complete.
- NOTE: This project and these instructions have been written for someone who has experience making soap and knows the potential dangers due to working with sodium hydroxide. It will not outline all safety methods of working with dangerous chemicals, it is simply a soap recipe for advanced soapmakers.
- Put on your protective gear. This is very important since you will be working with an extremely caustic base that can and will burn you if you touch it. Noxious fumes are also released from the exothermic reaction that occurs when you mix the sodium hydroxide with water.
- PART 1 - Outside Rim:
- The rim we will make is a very thin (less than 0.25") layer of swirled soap. Make this ahead of time so that it is firm enough to handle.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper - you will need at least a 12" x 8" piece but we recommend cutting the piece a few inches larger. We marked the underside of the paper with a 12" x 8" rectangle so we knew where to make the design. Place parchment paper on a jelly roll pan.
- Prepare the lye solution by weighing 5.7 oz. of water and 2.15 oz. of Sodium Hydroxide in two separate containers. Pour the lye into the water, carefully mix in a well-ventilated area and set aside to cool while you prepare your oils.
- Microwave the 3.75 oz. Coconut 76° Oil, 2.55 oz. Palm Oil and 0.45 oz. Shea Butter together for 30 second bursts until melted.
- Once melted, add 0.45 oz. Castor Oil, 6 oz. Olive Oil and 1.8 oz. Safflower Oil.
- In 3 separate medium-sized containers, mix 3 micro scoops of the Neon Pink Pleasures Powder in first, 3 micro scoops of Neon Pretty in Pink Powder in second and 1 tsp. of the White Pigment Powder for Oil in third with a small amount of the melted oils/butters in each.
- When the lye/water and oils/butters cool down to around 120°F, add lye water to oils and begin to stick blend.
- At light trace, separate the soap batter equally between the 3 colors. Mix well and pour into 3 squeeze bottles.
- Make a swirl design on the parchment paper using the squeeze bottles and a skewer. Taking each squeeze bottle, squirt the 3 colors at an angle back and forth from one end of the pan to the other. Then, take the skewer and run it through the colors in the opposite direction. You don't have to use all the soap - just make sure the 12" x 8" template is evenly covered. Any design you want to make will work for this.
- Insulate overnight. Allow to set 24 hours (or long enough to be handled).
- PART 2 - Inside Pour
- Measure out and cut out four rectangles for the rim of the soap. We found making a paper template to be helpful. The two larger sides should measure 3.5" x 8" - and the two shorter sides should be approximately 2-2.25" x 8". The size of the shorter sides will vary depending on the thickness of the rim. Measure carefully before cutting.
- Place the rims into the column mold with the swirl side facing outwards. Try to press the corners together so there are no gaps. Reinforce the sides of the mold to prevent bowing by placing something sturdy on both long sides of the mold. You can also use 2 large bands and place these around the middle of the mold to prevent bowing.
- Make the soap for the inside using the same safety precautions used for the outside rim.
- Prepare the lye solution by weighing 8.7 oz. of water and 3.3 oz. of Sodium Hydroxide in two separate containers. Pour the lye into the water, carefully mix in a well-ventilated area and set aside to cool while you prepare your oils.
- Heat in microwave 5.75 oz. Coconut 76° Oil, 3.9 oz. Palm Oil and 0.69 oz. Shea Butter until melted.
- Once melted, add 0.69 oz. Castor Oil, 9.2 oz. Olive Oil and 2.7 oz. Safflower Oil.
- When the lye/water and oils/butters cool down to around 120°F, add lye water to oils and begin to stick blend. At light trace, add 1.4 oz. Orchid & Pink Amber Fragrance Oil. Bring to medium trace and pour into the colummn mold.
- Insulate mold and let set for at least 24 hours.
- Unmold soap and cut into slices. Let cure for 4-6 weeks.
- Package soap and label accordingly.
Wholesale Supplies Plus is not responsible for the products you create
from our supplies. You alone are responsible for product and recipe
testing to ensure compatibility and safety.