RECIPE: Pikake Flowers & Lemon Poppy Cold Process Soap
The air smells like Spring and this soap is just what you need to bring this sweet breeze inside! A hint of pikake’s freshness topped with fruity lemon and a boost of exfoliating poppy seeds! Lather up and say hello to Spring!
Project Level: Advanced – Danger Chemicals
Estimated Time: 1 Hour
Yield: 44-45 oz. Loaf
INCI Ingredient Label: Olea Europaea (Olive) Oil, Water, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Titanium Dioxide, Fragrance, Bis(Glycidoxyphenyl)propane/Bisaminomethylnorbornane copolymer, Aluminum Hydroxide, Red 28, Red 22, Yellow 10, Papaver Orientale (Poppy) Seed, Iron Oxide.
- NOTE: This project and these instructions have been written for someone who has experience making soap and knows the potential dangers due to working with sodium hydroxide. It will not outline all safety methods of working with dangerous chemicals, it is simply a soap recipe for advanced soapmakers.
- Put on your protective gear. This is very important since you will be working with an extremely caustic base that can and will burn you if you touch it. Noxious fumes are also released from the exothermic reaction that occurs when you mix the sodium hydroxide with water.
- Prepare the lye solution by weighing the water and lye in two separate containers. Pour the lye into the water, carefully mix in a well-ventilated area and set aside to cool while you prepare your oils.
- Wear a face mask or leave the vicinity quickly after stirring the sodium hydroxide into the water. If you get any lye on your skin just wash it off quickly with copious amounts of cool water.
- Melt the butters in microwave on low heat. Once melted, add the olive oil.
- In 3 separate beakers premix the Matte White Pigment Powder with just enough of the warm oil/butter mixture and stir until smooth. A mini-mixer works well to mix the powder colors, if available. Do the same with the Neon Yellow Hello Powder. Combine the Neon Pretty in Pink Powder with the Matte Americana Red Oxide Powder and premix with a little of the oil/butter mixture.
- Mix 0.5 oz.Pikake Flowers Fragrance Oil and 0.8 oz. Lemon Seed & Parsley Fragrance Oil together in a glass container. Add 0.3 oz. Vanilla Color Stabilizer-CP, stir and set aside for 2 minutes.
- Add 0.45 oz. Sodium Lactate to the lye water.
- When the oil/butter mixture and lye-water are at around 115ºF, slowly pour the lye-water into the oils. With a stick blender, stir to light trace.
- Pour 12 ounces each (by volume) in 2 measuring cups and color one cup using the premixed yellow and another with the pink color. Add the white to the remaining batter in the larger container.
- Pour half the fragrance oil mixture in the white batter and split the rest between the other 2 colors.
- Pulse with a stick blender, starting with the white soap, then the yellow and finish with the pink/red.
- Add 1 teaspoon poppy seeds to white soap and disperse with a spoon.
- With a steady hand, pour the batter in the loaf mold using the drop-swirl technique until full and perform a “spoon-swirl” with a spoon or chopstick. Texture the top with a spoon once the batter has thickened up.
- Add some glitter on top for shimmery fun, if desired.
- Cover the soap to insulate and let it set for 18 to 24 hours.
- Carefully unmold the loaf and cut into 8 one-inch slices. Cure the bars for 4 to 6 weeks before you wrap & label.
Wholesale Supplies Plus is not responsible for the products you create
from our supplies. You alone are responsible for product and recipe
testing to ensure compatibility and safety.