RECIPE: Raspberry Swirl CP Soap Loaf
The wonderful aroma of raspberry adds to the beauty of this swirled soap. This simple in-the-pot swirl technique creates a beautiful and luxurious bar of soap!
Project Level: Advanced – Danger Chemicals
Estimated Time: 1 Hour
Yield: (8) 1" Slices
INCI Ingredient Label: Water, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil , Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Bis(Glycidoxyphenyl)propane/Bisaminomethylnorbornane copolymer, Aluminum Hydroxide, Red 28, Red 22, Iron Oxides.
- NOTE: This project and these instructions have been written for someone who has experience making soap and knows the potential dangers due to working with sodium hydroxide. It will not outline all safety methods of working with dangerous chemicals, it is simply a soap recipe for advanced soapmakers.
- Put on your protective gear. This is very important since you will be working with an extremely caustic base that can and will burn you if you touch it. Noxious fumes are also released from the exothermic reaction that occurs when you mix the sodium hydroxide with water.
- Wearing a face mask, prepare the lye solution by weighing the water and lye in two separate containers. Pour the lye into the water, carefully mix in a well-ventilated area and set aside to cool while you prepare your oils.
- Leave the vicinity quickly after stirring the sodium hydroxide into the water if mixing in a small area. If you get any lye on your skin just wash it off quickly with copious amounts of cool water.
- Measure the oils and butters and melt in the microwave.
- Measure 1.75 oz. of Berry Vanilla Fragrance Oil in a small beaker and set aside.
- When oils and water/lye solution are both approximately 110° F, start mixing with stick blender.
- Add fragrance oil and blend lightly.
- Pour approximatley 1 cup of soap into 2 containers (1 cup each).
- To one container add 1/8 tsp. of Matte Americana Red Oxide.
- To both containers, add 1/8 tsp. of Neon Pretty in Pink Powder.
- With stick blender, mix both containers well to very light trace.
- In mixing bowl of uncolored soap, begin pouring colors in a clockwise pattern. Starting with the pinker shade, add blobs of soap in a circle around the top of the uncolored soap. Follow with the redder color adding this between the pink colors.
- When all colored soap has been poured in, run a spatula through the soap in a circular motion to create the swirl.
- Pour soap into the loaf mold. It will continue to swirl as it is poured in.
- Allow to set up until the top of the soap can be textured.
- Let soap set in mold overnight. If it sticks to the sides of the silicone mold, let set for an additional 24 hours before unmolding.
- Once unmolded, slice soap and let cure for 4-6 weeks.
- Package and label soap accordingly.
Wholesale Supplies Plus is not responsible for the products you create
from our supplies. You alone are responsible for product and recipe
testing to ensure compatibility and safety.