RECIPE: Rice Flower and Shea Cold Process Soap
Rice Flower and Shea Fragrance Oil is a very fresh floral scent with a creamy shea undertone. Just enough floral but not too much. In this recipe we will also be using shea butter, which makes such a creamy, lathery bar of soap. We had so much fun layering this soap. Get creative, you can make really thin lines or big thick lines.
Project Level: Advanced – Danger Chemicals
Estimated Time: 1 Hour
Yield: (8) 5 oz. Bars
INCI Ingredient Label: Palm Oil, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Shea Butter, Fragrance, Activated Charcoal, Titanium Dioxide, Glitter, Mica, Blue 1 Lake, Hydrogenated Polyisobuene, Palmitic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic Acid.
- NOTE: This project and these instructions have been written for someone who has experience making soap and knows the potential dangers due to working with sodium hydroxide. It will not outline all safety methods of working with dangerous chemicals, it is simply a soap recipe for advanced soapmakers.
- Put on your protective gear. This is very important since you will be working with an extremely caustic base that can and will burn you if you touch it. Noxious fumes are also released from the exothermic reaction that occurs when you mix the sodium hydroxide with water.
- Prepare the lye solution by weighing the water and lye in two separate containers. Pour the lye into the water, carefully mix in a well-ventilated area and set aside to cool while you prepare your oils.
- Wear a face mask or leave the vicinity quickly after stirring the sodium hydroxide into the water. If you get any lye on your skin just wash it off quickly with copious amounts of cool water.
- Melt the Coconut Oil, Shea Butter and Palm Oil in double boiler or microwave until melted. Add Olive Oil and stir (set aside).
- Prepare Colors: In first mixing bowl place a teaspoon of the Activated Charcoal with a few drops of the melted mixed oils and stir. (This helps break down clumps of color when adding to the soap batter.) Set aside.
- In second bowl add a teaspoon of White Pigment Powder with a few drops of your melted mixed oils to break up the color. Set aside.
- In third bowl add a teaspoon of Blue Oil Locking Mica with a few drops of your melted mixed oils to break up the color. Set aside. This turns to a beautiful purple color.
- In fourth bowl add a teaspoon of Caribbean Blue Glitter with a few drops of your melted mixed oils to break up the color. Set aside.
- When lye has cooled, pour lye into liquid oils and hand stir for a minute with the stick blender, then blend with small bursts and stir until it is emulsified to a light trace.
- Add fragrance oil and hand stir for a minute. Use a stick blender until it is blended.
- Split the soap batter into the 4 prepared bowls with colors. Mix each colored soap batter until thoroughly blended.
- Place a book on table or another flat object that is about an inch thick. Place the loaf mold on the corner of it so the soap mold is tilted on its long side. Gently pour some of the first color slowly down the length of the mold and set the rest of the soap off to the side.
- Move the mold to the other side of book on table and let it slant on the other long side. (The soap in mold will move a bit but you are building layers and it will look awesome when you cut it). Pour another color lengthwise and set aside.
- Keep alternating by moving the mold from one side to the other and adding the other colors.
- Repeat until you are to the top. Once it is almost full, tap the mold gently on counter top. Next pour 3 colors on top making three straight lines. Then tap down again.
- Take a skewer and starting on the end stick it just through the top layer and make a figure eight design all the way down to the other end of mold.
- Let sit for 24-48 hours in mold.
- Take soap out of mold and slice into bars. You can put loaf in freezer for 45 min. to help pop out the loaf from the mold. Let cure 4-6 weeks.
- Wrap and label your soaps. There are cute decorative papers you can use or you can add a cigar band around them - shrink wrap or place in a cello bag with a cute ribbon.
Wholesale Supplies Plus is not responsible for the products you create
from our supplies. You alone are responsible for product and recipe
testing to ensure compatibility and safety.