RECIPE: Under The Sea 3-D Soap
Have fun creating your own "Under the Sea" 3-D designs. No need to scent this as the oatmeal soap base has it's own special fragrance.
Project Level: Difficult
Estimated Time: 1 Hour
Yield: 6 - 5.5-6 oz bars
INCI Ingredient Label: Propylene Glycol, Sorbitol, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Laurate, Sodium Myristate, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Meal, Glycerin, Silica, Titanium Dioxide, Fragrance, Polyester-3, Yellow 7, Orange 5, Red 28, Ultramarines, Chromium Hydroxide Green, Mica
- E: If you are making these products for sale, good manufacturing practices recommend you wear a hairnet, gloves and a mask. We also recommend a clean apron.
- Using the 4 plastic beakers, mix all colors, except gold mica, with 1 oz. of glycerin. Mix powder into liquid by hand, then use mini-mixer to mix thoroughly.
- In 5 small glass containers, melt 2 oz. of clear soap in each.
- Add color mixture to each container of melted soap. The gold mica can be added directly into the melted soap.
- Pour colored soap into the cavities of the Sea Life Deco-It Silicone Mold. Make the embeds whatever color you choose. Plastic droppers can be used for small areas.
- Once soap has set up, remove embeds from molds. Continue making enough embeds for 6 bars of soap.
- Weigh 30 oz. of oatmeal soap base. Cut into small chunks and place in large glass measuring cup.
- Heat in microwave until all soap has melted. Remove from microwave and stir.
- Place square silicone mold on jelly roll pan. This gives stability to the mold should it need to be moved.
- Pour the oatmeal soap into the 6 cavities filling each about 3/4 high.
- Spritz the top of the oatmeal soap with alcohol to dissolve any surface bubbles.
- Let soap harden.
- To get 3-D affect the embeds are done in layers so they appear more separate.
- Weigh 8 oz. of clear soap base and place in glass measuring cup. Heat until melted. Remove from microwave and stir.
- Spritz top of first cavity of soap with alcohol. Check temperature of soap so it is no hotter than 125 degrees. Pour a thin layer of clear soap just enough to coat top of bar.
- Quickly take first layer of embeds, spritz with alcohol and place into melted clear soap.
- Spritz again with alcohol.
- Continue with remaining 5 bars until first layer of embeds are finished.
- More clear soap will need to be melted as you go along.
- Once this layer of soap has hardened, spritz again with alcohol.
- Pour another thin layer of clear soap over embeds. Spritz second set of embeds and immediately place into clear soap. Spritz again.
- For top embeds, they can be completely covered or one embed can stick out slightly from bar, finishing off the 3-D affect.
- When pouring clear soap over top embeds, pour just enough to cover. If soap is poured too thick, embeds will be cloudy.
- Finish top with final spritz of alcohol.
- Once soap has hardened, carefully remove from mold and wrap immediately. To give soap a more finished appearance, bevel the top edges with a potato peeler.
Wholesale Supplies Plus is not responsible for the products you create
from our supplies. You alone are responsible for product and recipe
testing to ensure compatibility and safety.